Friday, January 29, 2010

I fancy you


I fancy you
Originally uploaded by Patty_kins
This is still part of the SU series.

Did you guys know that SU is now doing cling stamps? Now, I believe their website is calling it clear mount stamp, but they are synonymous to me.

**Disclaimer: Here comes the soapbox**
Personally, while I think it's a giant step up for SU, I think it's a giant step back or even side-step of other companies, such as Hero Arts. Don't get me wrong, love their designs, but the rubber technology can stand to be improved upon.

I love my clear stamps. No matter how you slice it and dice it, I love them. Their pros are (but not limited to): price point ~ more bang for your buck, storage is convenient, and you can actually see what you're doing when you stamp. Cons are (again, not limited to): image can stand to be clearer, rubber can stand to last longer, and the ink stain like a bad flea on a dog.

Why can we improve upon something great like the clear stamp instead of going back to the clear mount? Let me tell you, I fought clear mount for a very very long time. Until I came across Rubber Romance & Greeting Farm where I was willing to give in. Unless you have some superb image that I cannot live without, and at the time, it was Rubber Romance, I wasn't going to budge.

I like my wood (haha) like any stamper does, but let's face it, whenever I move I'm literally moving wood blocks. So, the advent of clear stamps was nifty and solved alot of storage problems. Draw backs, as mentioned was the whole thing about not lasting longer. Which, I think it's very sad because as more and more talented artists emerge, and more and more awesome stamps gets rolled out, I just know 20 years from now, the rubber is not going to last that long as the red rubber would.

I know, I know, there are all sorts of nifty way to store the unmounted stamps. I do have the vinyl cling, the foam cushion, and those sheets to hold the stamps... but that's about as close to clear stamps as I'm ever going to see. I still can see where I'm stamping.

Maybe I'm spoiled, who knows? I've grew up on the good ol' wood mount. I used to have a teacher, who is always precise and it's all done by eye. No Stamp-a-ma-jig to guide him whatsoever. And those skills are pretty much lost because of clear stamp. But now that Clear Mount are back, maybe those skills will need to be resharpen.

All Supplies by SU

No comments: