Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Chinese New Year


Chinese New Year
Originally uploaded by Patty_kins
Well, technically, today is Fat Tuesday, but since I don't have any Mardi Gras card or color themed I will post the few Chinese New Year cards I have...

This is very matching... The vellum in the background was designed by my friend Catherine who passed 2 years ago. She was very talented lady. Also very much into the Asian cultures which led to her success to owning her own company along w/ her husband. That said, the company is no more, and also a lost for the Houston Rubber Stamp community.

Anyway, she designed these Kois swimming, and I thought how appropriate is to to have the saying. The saying phonetically is: Yu Yee Gut Cheung, which means, may all your wish comes true and in more folds [than intended]. But the word Yu which is the first word you see there, also sounded like Chinese word for Fish. So, that's why I thought it was appropriate. They have alot of words that sounds like something else, and then they became symbol for the saying. Like when I was little, I never tell my parents that I want to go buy books in Chinese because the word book sounds like lose as in gambling. So, I was not allowed to say that. Or, you never give someone a clock for present because it sounds like you're sending them off (as in when someone passes), so they're very much into the multi-meaning stuff.

While this is a common symbol to have fish to go along it, not sure how common it is to have koi. I'll have to look that up. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Supplies:
Vellum by Papers by Catherine, stamps by StampMagick

1 comment:

Estivalia said...

very pretty card! I also enjoyed the facts about chinese words.. and that vellum is soo beautiful, I'm sorry the artist passed away :(